Ride the Lightning
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ride the Lightning

After almost 7 years, the Crew of The Emerald Lightning find themselves standing on the same deck plates once more...

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

REUNION GAME!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lyder Terahsli
Admin
Lyder Terahsli

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 2:02 am

THIS COMING WEDS!

Chris is going to Run STAR WARS as the Crew comes back together for the first time in blah blah. We know the drill. Zak-attack will be back in town. So lets decide what time and where. Travis? Are you down? Willing to come to our place or would you like to host it again?

Anyone remember what the hell level we were? FYI: This will be using the Saga System, so it's time to remake!
Back to top Go down
http://snafucorp.allyogame.com
Narruna

Narruna

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 2:25 am

I don't think I'll be able to make it. I'm going to be less than a week away from my deadline on my comic at that point, so I'm going to be in panic mode. MAYBE I'll be able to work it so that I can bring some work with me to do while you guys play so that I could at least observe, but I'll have to see where I'm at at that point...
Back to top Go down
Lyder Terahsli
Admin
Lyder Terahsli

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 2:39 am

Narruna wrote:
I don't think I'll be able to make it. I'm going to be less than a week away from my deadline on my comic at that point, so I'm going to be in panic mode. MAYBE I'll be able to work it so that I can bring some work with me to do while you guys play so that I could at least observe, but I'll have to see where I'm at at that point...

Awww damn you REAL LIFE! DAMN YOUUUUUU!!!!! I'll cross my fingers.
Back to top Go down
Jo'luk

Jo'luk

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm up for some role playing, of course. I was thinking 4e, but I guess I could do Star Wars. Don't have any of the Saga books, but I do have my old character sheet somewhere around here... hmmm.... oh well, if I can't find it, I seem to remember Jo having 18 in every Ability...
Back to top Go down
Narruna

Narruna

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm up for 4e!! If we do it on the 20th. That's the only day I can swing it while you're here Zak. Trystan needs to get some game time!
Back to top Go down
Jo'luk

Jo'luk

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Maybe we can do 4e on the 20th and Star Wars a different night? Let me check my schedule and see if I have time to role play twice while I'm out there... hmmm... yeah, it looks like it!
Back to top Go down
Lyder Terahsli
Admin
Lyder Terahsli

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 4:33 pm

I'm down!

Wow you guys are more interested in 4e huh? Gotta say, didn't see that comin. Who's gonna run it?

You can download the Saga Edition Books from 4shared.com for free. It's where I got mine. System is way better.

I've actually discovered I don't really like 4e. After playing it a whole bunch, the customization options for a character are kindergarten compared to 3.5...which is annoying because combat and skills in 4e are way better than 3.5. Grr.

The reason I thought Star Wars would be fun is so we can kick start our foundation for the Old Republic MMO when it comes out (which is looking more and more amazing every week).
Back to top Go down
Narruna

Narruna

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 7:28 pm

I want to play 4e because I made up my character Trystan two years ago when it first came out, wrote literally a novella about his backstory (for Nano that year), and yet I've only been able to play him once--in our "test" game last summer. Plus Zak set up "Gauntsport University" back then, complete with class schedule and faculty. Dying to play.

I was reluctant about 4e when it first came out because it seemed too MMO on paper to me, and I haven't really had an opportunity to play other than our last test session to come to any solid conclusion whether I like or dislike it. However, I had a really good time making my character, and if you have good players and a party of characters with good chemistry, then the system doesn't really matter. I do miss, though, all of the 3.5 supplementary material!
Back to top Go down
Jo'luk

Jo'luk

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 8:36 pm

Yeah, the system has never really mattered. As long as it gives an understandable method of resolving situations that can't be resolved through "role" playing, that's all that's really necessary. I liked the old LA gang because everyone liked "role" playing over "roll" playing. I could care less about the system, but yes, Travis did make a character 2 years ago, and I made a bunch of stuff up for a game (which I hope I can find...) for 4e, so it might be fun to play around with.

Saga is also kindergarten compared to the old Star Wars game, but I found it fun because it was so easy to make a character and KNOW if someone "accidentally" made their character too powerful. 4e is like that, too. No mysterious feats appear out of nowhere, you pretty much know what you get at every level, no arbitrary rolls for HP at each new level, etc. PH3 has added "hybrid classes" and skill powers to increase flexibility and customization.

I've only played it once and run it twice (both "test" games), and I've spent a lot of money on books. It would be cool to play/run it.
Back to top Go down
Narruna

Narruna

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Yeah, that too! It would be nice to get some use out of books that I spent a bunch of money on, but have barely been able to crack open.

Zak, I have a copy of all of the course descriptions, faculty bios, etc if you need them. I forget how many classes we're allowed to take, though. Was it four or five? I remember I was going to take arcane theory (obviously, as a wizard) and phys ed (because it's a required course), but other than that I forgot which ones I'd picked.

Is PH3 worth picking up? For Trystan?
Back to top Go down
Jo'luk

Jo'luk

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 pm

Cool, that stuff would be helpful! And if you could email them to anyone interested in playing, that would be cool, too!

To anyone else willing to play, basically the setting is at Gauntsport University, where they are enrolled in classes. It's a very expensive university that is very selective, so why was your character chosen? Were their parents rich and well-connected? Did they have a mysterious benefactor? Special talents?

A history and a handful of NPCs, both in school, back home, and in Gauntsport but not in school will be helpful, although for just one game, it's not all necessary.

The feel will be pretty much Harry Potter (later years) meets Smallville (school years) meets Buffy (school years) set in Gauntsport. Strange setting, strange classmates, strange faculty, etc.

Let me know if you're interested, and give me an idea of your character, the sooner the better. Have a reason for the class you choose. I tried to make school classes based on the player classes at the time, so if you don't see classes on the class list that make sense for your character, let me know. They all offer small benefits upon finishing the classes. You'll be first level.

Unless someone else wants to run a game. I'd love to play a psion.

Travis: PHB3 is only like $24 on Amazon. It has some interesting things, but I don't know that you absolutely have to have it. You got Arcane Power, right?
Back to top Go down
Narruna

Narruna

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 10:53 pm

Yes, I have Arcane Power (when are they going to release an Arcane Power 2?!--as if I don't already have enough to choose from...lol). I definitely want Trystan to take the Familiar feat, maybe next level. I think that would be really fun.

You're right about the courses not incorporating classes from PH 2 or 3. I hadn't thought of that. There's no Music Appreciation for Bards, for example. That could probably be incorporated into some of your broader categories, though, (like Liberal Arts) with more specialized classes like how you did it for Noble Sciences. I'm sure Trystan would be interested in a literature course, although there's so many classes I could see him taking that it's already going to be hard to narrow it down...haha. Plus, some of the classes I want to take just because of the professors teaching them. Definitely some interesting characters in the faculty!

I'll email you guys the documents. Hopefully you guys are interested! Smile
Back to top Go down
Jo'luk

Jo'luk

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 1:48 am

Hmmm... just downloaded the Saga core rulebook... they don't have Fringers anymore, so it looks like Jo will have to be a Scoundrel. It fit him closest of all current classes.

It makes sense, though: with Talents like "Disruptive" and "Walk the Line" he can say or do unthinkable and surprising things that distract the enemy and make them take negatives to their defenses. Looks like the "Scum and Villainy" book has other Talents that would fit Jo, too.
Back to top Go down
Jace Colton

Jace Colton

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 3:17 am

Eh, I'm more excited about Star Wars than D&D, but that's the way it's always been for me. Smile I may see if I can cobble together a character for that game, or I may do what Travis is thinking about doing for Star Wars and bring my laptop so I can write while you guys game.
Back to top Go down
http://rblemoyne.blogspot.com/
Lyder Terahsli
Admin
Lyder Terahsli

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Jo'luk wrote:
Yeah, the system has never really mattered. As long as it gives an understandable method of resolving situations that can't be resolved through "role" playing, that's all that's really necessary. I liked the old LA gang because everyone liked "role" playing over "roll" playing. I could care less about the system, but yes, Travis did make a character 2 years ago, and I made a bunch of stuff up for a game (which I hope I can find...) for 4e, so it might be fun to play around with.

Saga is also kindergarten compared to the old Star Wars game, but I found it fun because it was so easy to make a character and KNOW if someone "accidentally" made their character too powerful. 4e is like that, too. No mysterious feats appear out of nowhere, you pretty much know what you get at every level, no arbitrary rolls for HP at each new level, etc. PH3 has added "hybrid classes" and skill powers to increase flexibility and customization.

I've only played it once and run it twice (both "test" games), and I've spent a lot of money on books. It would be cool to play/run it.

I have to disagree with you on the Saga thing. The Saga Edition invites pure customization and diversity while combining the fun of miniatures play. There's no more Jedi Consular and Jedi Guardian for example. Now there is just "Jedi" with three talent trees you can pick and choose from with out needing to rail road yourself into just one. You could pick Smuggler and choose from Slicer, Misfortune or Spacer talent trees in any combination you want. 4e has clearly defined roles for each character. If you're a paladin, you're a tank. If you're a Wizard, you're a controller. The monster play set up is geared towards the same bit, so if you have a party of "strikers" and "Defenders" you're gonna get your ass kicked by a monster group that has "Controllers". Character creation runs the risk of becoming a numbers game.

Even variations of the classes (ie: a Defender geared more towards striking) is a weak character because you're running away from what you are. Just my opinion.

But I agree with you on all the rest of the stuff.
Back to top Go down
Lyder Terahsli
Admin
Lyder Terahsli

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 1:27 pm

Narruna wrote:
I want to play 4e because I made up my character Trystan two years ago when it first came out, wrote literally a novella about his backstory (for Nano that year), and yet I've only been able to play him once--in our "test" game last summer. Plus Zak set up "Gauntsport University" back then, complete with class schedule and faculty. Dying to play.

I was reluctant about 4e when it first came out because it seemed too MMO on paper to me, and I haven't really had an opportunity to play other than our last test session to come to any solid conclusion whether I like or dislike it. However, I had a really good time making my character, and if you have good players and a party of characters with good chemistry, then the system doesn't really matter. I do miss, though, all of the 3.5 supplementary material!

Oh man, I forgot about all that stuff. I don't think I have a character for that do I? Is this where I was playing Orcus?
Back to top Go down
Narruna

Narruna

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Lyder Terahsli wrote:
Narruna wrote:

Oh man, I forgot about all that stuff. I don't think I have a character for that do I? Is this where I was playing Orcus?

It's the same world where you were playing Orcus, but Orcus was in the high-level game (with Ana and Azmun). For the university next generation game you played a character (forget which race or class) that was being held prisoner by the creature we fought underneath Gauntsport. I remember he had a lot of books that Trystan was interested in. Then about halfway through the game you added some other character that was basically there to lend firepower since we got so messed up in the rat attack. Chris played some weird character that climbed around in the ceiling is all I remember. Neither of your characters was involved with the university because classes hadn't started yet. Robert was playing a character who was a mutual friend of my character's best friend, Emmelia, the journalism student with a magic device that could take pictures (haha Zak). Zak likes her because she's the one who always wants to investigate and find out The Truth, even if it puts us in risky situations. You liked her because I based her look on Bryce Dallas Howard.
Back to top Go down
Lyder Terahsli
Admin
Lyder Terahsli

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Aaaah gotcha! And I got the info you sent thanks! I'll start drafting a real character for this game.
Back to top Go down
Narruna

Narruna

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Lyder Terahsli wrote:
Aaaah gotcha! And I got the info you sent thanks! I'll start drafting a real character for this game.

Sweet!! So excited! Hopefully we can get the same kind of chemistry going between characters that we had with the Eclectics, going to school, living in the dorms, oh and fighting a little crime on the side...lol.

I think we forgot to mention that this game takes place approximately 25 years after the Battle of Gauntsport (I figured out the exact number of years at one point, but now I forget). So all of our other characters are 25 years older now, and the next generation is taking over. So it's possible we could run into Ana's kids, or Anawyn and Aelgann all grown up, or Orlando's many many daughters, etc. I'm just pointing this out in case you wanted to tie any of your character's backstory into events of the past, or characters of the past. My character Trystan has a loose association with Ana (that he's completely unaware of...he probably has no idea who Ana is at this point, unless he learns about her in history class). His adoptive father is the ex-husband of Marge, Ana's live-in chef. Lol...random, but there it is.
Back to top Go down
Lyder Terahsli
Admin
Lyder Terahsli

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Narruna wrote:

Sweet!! So excited! Hopefully we can get the same kind of chemistry going between characters that we had with the Eclectics, going to school, living in the dorms, oh and fighting a little crime on the side...lol.

I think we forgot to mention that this game takes place approximately 25 years after the Battle of Gauntsport (I figured out the exact number of years at one point, but now I forget). So all of our other characters are 25 years older now, and the next generation is taking over. So it's possible we could run into Ana's kids, or Anawyn and Aelgann all grown up, or Orlando's many many daughters, etc. I'm just pointing this out in case you wanted to tie any of your character's backstory into events of the past, or characters of the past. My character Trystan has a loose association with Ana (that he's completely unaware of...he probably has no idea who Ana is at this point, unless he learns about her in history class). His adoptive father is the ex-husband of Marge, Ana's live-in chef. Lol...random, but there it is.

Maybe yeah! I've only ever been vaguely aware of the mythos of the D&D game so I need to read up.
Back to top Go down
Narruna

Narruna

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 6:12 pm

I wouldn't worry about that. If your character is university age, then chances are he (or she...a little lesbian action, eh?) wasn't born until several years after the Battle of Gauntsport and wouldn't have first-hand knowledge of that time anyway. I'd suggest just start with what race you'd like to play and then talk to Zak or me and we can start asking questions that could direct you toward the places and characters that might be in your character's background. Since we're only playing one game right now, it's probably not a big deal (unless we start playing via webcam...?), but it might enrich your experience if, say, Zak is like, you guys see Galennon Lovecraft walking down the street, and you're like, hey that's my uncle!

Back to top Go down
Jace Colton

Jace Colton

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 9:56 pm

Narruna wrote:
Robert was playing a character who was a mutual friend of my character's best friend, Emmelia, the journalism student with a magic device that could take pictures (haha Zak).

Ooooh yeah, now I remember! I don't think I have that character anymore. I recently purged a lot of character sheets for one-shot games I didn't think I'd ever play again. Hm.
Back to top Go down
http://rblemoyne.blogspot.com/
Lyder Terahsli
Admin
Lyder Terahsli

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 3:26 pm

Got a concept. Zak what level are we?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

REUNION GAME! Empty
PostSubject: Re: REUNION GAME!   REUNION GAME! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

REUNION GAME!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ride the Lightning :: OOC FORUM :: "Sei is a psychotic emo bitch."-
Jump to: